Sunday, August 11, 2013

Amish Country

It is wonderful living in Florida but if you grew up north of the Mason Dixon Line there are certain things you miss, rolling hills, big leafy trees and farms with lots of acreage.  I got to experience all that on steroids for a few days. 
I just got back from my first trip to Lancaster, PA, the heart of Amish country.  Of course I had heard and read about the Amish and seen many photos and some movies about them and how and where they lived.  What I was not prepared for was how wonderful being immersed in the culture for a few days would be.  It was brought you back to what it must have been like without TV, cell phones, schedules that pulled you so many different ways, all away from home. 
Of course the reality of living like this is far different from spending a few idyllic days eating wonderful food, marching to a different pace and looking out over beautiful rolling hills.









No comments: