Monday, January 25, 2010

A new week

Well everything seems to be falling into place for some art time. My workshop is over and my new camera arrived!! I will finally be able to take some photos of my recent paintings for the blog, including my workshop paintings.
This week-end was my long awaited workshop with Sandy Johnson. Sandy is a very talented, well known artist, who lives in Melbourne. This was an oil workshop with a still life set-up the first day and a portrait on day 2. It sounds like a lot and it was but moved along at a doable pace with lots of time for questions and dialogue.
One of the best things about taking a workshop is seeing new techniques. Not just from the teacher but from other students. I think we all feel a little intimidated when we go into a room full of other artists. We worry about being judged, being the worst artist in the group, what will others think of us etc. etc. Once we cross that threshold and start setting up all that seems to go away. You realize everyone is learning. There really is no best or worst because everyone is so different in there approach. Someone may stand out be everyone learns and that's what makes you a better painter.

No comments: